View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #26 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Looking back at the posts you can see a clear distinction between the pro and con posters based on what they drive.
No blame here, cannot expect anyone to preach outside their own church. Like companys we fend our own demands. Nobody's unbiased though.

My stand: I am pro electric but I won't drive an electric car.
Even though the range is ten times better than a century ago, it still falls back to a gas driven car. It should be no problem as I can charge it every night at home or wherever I go. That's not my reason.
The ride quality is superior and fuel price is too, certainly not my reason to not go electric. I'd love that. Just like its reliability; basically it is so much simpler than an ICE.

I simply cannot afford an electric car (*)
The Nissan Leaf and the Mitsubishi i-Miev are basically subcompact cars, but they are at least twice as expensive as comparable cars with an ICE. I cannot make up for the difference even if electricity were entirely free. As I expect the batterys to expire before I'd driven the same distance that I could on the ICE comparison on the fuel I could buy for the price difference.

So with pain in my heart I have to keep burning gas until the batteries used in EV's get twice as cheap, twice as powerful or twice as long-lived.
The break even point is nearly there. It just isn't yet, or it needs to be subsidized even more than it is today. I don't mind those subsidies; it prevents sending money abroad for oil. And it sure is cleaner; I'm convinced of that even more than before by comparing all the data above.
But I have a mortgage to deal with, growing kids etc.
Scientists and lobbyists and sensation-seeking journalists can argue whatever they want. Wallet wise EVs still are wallet unwise. You need a green heart and a lot of green paper to run them.

I ecomod my car and driving habits and save money instead of spending it.
Driving less and doing so more economically benefits the environment beyond any doubt.

(*) Oh I'd love to aquire a disused forklift or such and experiment away with it in all my free time. If I had that.

While I wrote this the telly aired another Nissan Leaf commercial. Maybe that's the clue. It is cheap to make, but the ads add up. If only they could skip those and make it cheap, and less than plain bone ugly...?

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 03-14-2013 at 05:14 PM..