View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
qx4dude
EcoModding Lurker

@ciderbarrel

I'm doing all of the common hypermiling techniques - short of harming others, myself, or my vehicle. I have to admit that hypermiling is a fun game, and now that I can quickly glance at a number of engine data points relative to MPG, I'm able to learn the vehicle's MPG "sweet spots" so to speak. In many ways, hypermiling does make you more alert and aware of others on the road, but I cringe when I read about a few other hypermilers - how proud they are drafting a few feet behind a semi, taking sharp turns at 50MPH, blowing through stop signs, turning off their ingitions every 10 seconds, or generally being a nuisance in traffic.

When anyone becomes more obsessed about MPG than public (or their own) safety - Houston, we have a problem.

It's actually a little funny how I used to blame the vehicle for it's terrible gas mileage (like most others tend to do) instead of look in the mirror. I was one of those impatient drivers, zipping in and out of lanes and accelerating to be first in line at a stop light. I used to get angry at people just doing the speed limit. Now I'm one of them, and have to admit that there's a certain calmness about it.