View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
I think that plug in vehicles are by far the best option, electric cars like mine don't have any exotic metals, just common ones like lead, copper, aluminum, my motor is all copper, steel, iron, brass, carbon with a little bit of plastic and varnish in there and auto makers that are making newer electric cars are finding ways to cut back on the size of rare earth magnets when they do use them.
The part of Lithium batteries that has the largest carbon foot print is the copper and aluminum that is used, it also has the most value and is the part most sought after when recycling them.

When an electric car is sitting still it's using very little energy, it's running the radio, lights, on board computer and HVAC system.

Crawling along in traffic most passenger vehicles are getting the worst mileage you will ever see, higher fuel use while sitting stopped while shifted in to drive then shifted in to park, that is why it's not uncommon to see gasoline vehicles sitting on the side of the road having run out of gas, something that happens way more often then electric vehicles running out of charge.