View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
MPGomatic
Needs More Duct Tape

Slambo - '99 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 44.21 mpg (US)
Cool Launching a New MPG Video Series

I'm rolling the dice on a new video series. It echoes a lot of what's taken place on Ecomodder over the years and seeks to answer the question:

Is it possible to improve the fuel efficiency of an older car with simple aftermarket bolt-ons and proper maintenance? If so, to what degree?

I don't know if this will fly (or how high), but it's been sitting in my head for eons. The series is based on doing simple mods with as many different cars as possible. Changes will include: LRR tires, full synthetic fluid swap, lowering springs, bellypans, tire spats, OBDII display(s), possibly gearing. No snake oil. Aiming for a 10 to 20% improvement.

There are tens of thousands of Hurricane Sandy damaged cars sitting here in lots in NJ. I want to strip the tire spats off the newest ones before they get scrapped. (Borrow from a 2012 car and retrofit on a 2002.)

My big dream is to take it on the road and shoot video segments with a bunch of companies that are producing advanced renewable biofuels. This stuff doesn't make it on the evening news.

I hope you guys dig it. Fingers crossed we can make it happen.

Ain't Fuelin'! by Daniel Gray — Kickstarter