View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
on2
EcoModding Lurker

1st time hypermiler 2013 Accord CVT 555 miles

555 miles on one tank of gas (tank is rated at 17.2 gallons, but each fillup when empty is consistently about 16 gallons). Therefore 34.6 MPG. I''m very impressed by this car. The CVT does a good job of keeping the revs low.

My 2013 Honda Accord Sport CVT is rated at 26/35, 29 MPG combined. It has an ECON mode and a fuel economy gauge which helps tremendously. The trip computer also knows when I refill the tank and automatically resets. It also shows the last 3 tanks and the current tank's average MPG.

My current tank is looking to end at over 610 miles! When I saw this being possible I got very excited and started screaming in my car. I can't believe this car can achieve such mileage as it is quite big and heavy (about 3600 lbs with me and a full tank of gas) and since I am new at this hypermiling thing. If I can manage finishing it at over 610 miles than that will be an average of 38 MPG! Amazing! My goal was only 580 miles but with more neutral coasting downhills and the lighter weight from the fuel burned off I was about to gain 30 miles near the end of the tank. I should have this one finished off today or tomorrow.

My next goal will be to hit 640 miles which will put me at 40 MPG average on a tank of gas! I think it is very achievable with more practice and experience.

I can only imagine these numbers being even better once I start ecomodding. 700 miles on one tank? Maybe?!

Here are the mods I have planned.

1.) Scan Gauge II. I got one but am going to sell it since I have the ELM327 and Torque app which I find to be more useful.
2.) Upper and Lower grill block using black poly carbonate
3.) Lightweight 18" wheels (factory wheels/tires are 55lbs!), not going with 17" because the difference in weight between 18" and 17" tires is not enough or maybe even zilch. Might even go with 19" since the combination can still be significantly lighter than the factory 30lb beasts. Could save 17lbs per corner, 68lbs total!
4.) Underdrive pulley whenever it becomes available
5.) Complete custom undertray, the factory undertray from the Accord Plug-In is too expensive and not that extensive.
6.) 2014 Accord Plug-In Hybrid aluminum hood (other models have heavy steel hoods with a less aerodynamic shape) or maybe a carbon fiber hood when it becomes available
7.) Accord Plug-In rear bumper, more aerodynamic
8.) Honda Accessory side skirts
9.) custom carbon front splitter
10.) clear poly carbonate wheel covers
11.) custom carbon rear diffuser
12.) Big brake kit with 2-piece lightweight rotors and calipers when it becomes available, lighter rotation mass and unsprung weight.
13.) intake, exhaust maybe? the factory seems to be well designed for low end torque.
14.) coilovers to lower vehicle 15mm-20mm
15.) Odyssey lightweight dry battery
16.) and last but not least the driver mod!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1363308245786.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	12707   Click image for larger version

Name:	1363369369914.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	12708  
611 miles on 16 gallons
38 MPG combined average