View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #612 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907
wow, im honestly sorry i clicked on this thread...
I've enjoyed the thread. It's given me opportunity to discuss the Ur-environmentalist, Buckminster Fuller, indoor windmills, Moon power™ and a number of other things.

Especially Cool Planet:
Cool Planet | The only company producing carbon negative fuels based on plant photosynthesis to remove CO2 from our atmosphere

And Arragonis is always trying to incite people to unsubscribe. I've seen him do it two or three times.

Edit: In fact I am going to quote myself because it's from another thread, A replacement for ethanol? , which coincidently has the same original poster, suspectnumber961

Quote:
suspectnumber961 -- Thank you for this wonderful thread. I have watched their video over and over and took notes. Seriously. This isn't about fuel, it's about Global Poverty.

I've known for some time that the only reasonable Global Mega-Engineering approach to a War on Climate involves Biochar. Cool Planet gets it. Apparently there is a United States Biochar Initiative that just met at Sonoma State University. They were there with vehicles burning the fuel they are currently producing from their 4 acre pilot plot. They have a 100 acre plot in the high desert to receive their soil amendment.

Look at their investors: Google Ventures, GE, BP, Conoco-Philips, NRG

Their close-loop cycle spins off food and fuel as by-product. That's not the important part. The cycle is actually a virtuous spiral. Every time you go around 4-8 times you have twice as much farmland.

The company originally spec'd out 2000 first-world plants. Google.org wants 100,000 plants for the third world. That's 100,000 million-gallons-a-year plants that would catapult the locals past 'first-world' standard of living. Google is doing it to promote their Android operating system

With today's yield numbers:

1% land area -- Fuel all the world's cars
2% land area -- Zero-net carbon Emission by 2030
3% land area -- Reduce Global CO2 100ppm in 40 years

and they can convert desert to farmland to get there.

I'm a little skeptical of their Negative Fuel Carbon Cycle slide, though. It's a soil cycle, fuel is a byproduct. The part that goes "Biochar-Processing-Soil Amendment" I think should read "Activated Charcoal-Processing-Biochar".

I don't think this has anything to do with methanol. Their Biomass Fractionator uses sub-nanometer Quantum Wells to get from free-radical hydrocarbons to the finished product. Allegedly.

Last edited by freebeard; 03-17-2013 at 06:33 PM..