View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
pete c
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHornet View Post
Hey Pete,

Those are some good thoughts you had on the TDI and transmissions. That was one area if I recall that the Vixen was pretty weak on. The Vixens gear ratios were not very well optimized for the weight and size of engine. It had over heating issues big time I guess as a result. The TDI engines although a fortune to fix are a nice compact package that would be a nice upgrade over the Beemer. The TD engines maybe the PD 1.9 would be even a better option as you can mod the heck out of them and you don't have to deal with all the electronics of the new TDI if you are not so computer inclined!

It is crazy to think that the Vixen with a 2.4L diesel could achieve 30mpg and here we are many years later still with cars that don't even get that! It makes me wonder what I was thinking working and promoting for GM all that time. I am a bit embarrassed actually, I guess we all live and learn.

A boat tail on the vixen, better engine, better transmission it would be very interesting to see just what these changes would make let alone hybridizing it. The 5,000lbs+ RV just might put many of our cars fuel economy to shame.

I am curious now what platform the Vixen used. I wonder if it was a donor chassis or scratch built? I am also curious how they built the body to me it seems like 5,000lbs is light for an RV, but honestly I really don't know much about them. What I do know is we have trucks and suburbans that weigh more than that so to be around 5,000lbs in something that big that is pretty impressive at least at first glance.

I will definitely look into the Lesharo and the Rialta. As I said I really don't know much at all about RV so everything will be new to me. I figure I had better start now though and prepare for the day if it comes :-) It would be awesome to travel Through the Americas RV style there is just so much to see and do. It would be even more awesome to do it with an RV that was modern, highly efficient and economic to drive.

I guess the first thing I need to look into is the chassis or foundation. You would need something solid that is for sure. I wonder if some RV share chassis platforms it seems like it would be the case.

Well Pete thanks for sharing your great ideas keep them coming my friend and I will do the same

Talk to you later,

Greenhornet
There is another option, the best option, IMO,which is why I have one parked in the yard, the Toyota pickup based C class. Actually, there are 2 in the yard, mine, a '90 V-6 and someone else's that I am working on, a 91 V-6 shortie (18 fter).

These are awesome RVs if you don't need a lot of room or beds for 6 people. I would recommend an earlier 80s model with the 22R/22RE 4 cylinder, which is quite possibly the best damn engine ever made.

The 4 cylinders can get an honest 17-18 mpg and with a 4 speed could easily be hypermiled into the 20s.

If you are interested in them, there is a very active yahoo group (toyota campers) and another very good website, toyotamotorhome.org.

The toys with their aerodynamically challenged C class layout will never meet the mileage of the vixen or lesharo, but, they are more livable inside (real bathroom) and they are approximately 1,000,000 times more reliable than the vixen or lesharo. And parts are as plentiful and cheap as any other vehicle, seeing as there are still millions of these pickups still rolling around.