View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 08:08 PM   #510 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
teardrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlethargic View Post
Here's the best teardrop graph I've got, so far.
  • t goes from 0 to 2*pi in 1/32 increments
  • m = 1

Note: sin^m(t/2) is (sin(t/2))^m

I just noticed the original teardrop graph has the y-axis scaled smaller than the x-axis scale. In other words, 0 to 1 on the x-axis measures 1-7/8" and 0 to 1 on the y-axis measures 1-1/8". The proportions may improve if I change the y-axis.

Which I did: Middle graph.

Then I re-scaled the y-axis on the m = 2 graph, which corresponds with the yellow line in the original: 3rd graph.

... m = 3 graph, outermost green line on original graph: 4th graph.
Didn't mean to marginalize your contribution by a mere keystroke 'Thanks.'
I'm busier than a cat covering up ---t and I'm stealing snipits of time to sneak into here at Copy-Pro to check in on posts.
What you've shared will probably end up as the Rosetta Stone for us fabricators,allowing very discreet vectors for the difficult curvilinear forms which the air likes best,and a better way to construct them.
The teardrop remains the benchmark for low drag in ground proximity.The 'laminar' forms won't work for us due to ambient air turbulence so it's important that we be able to produce the 'traditional' drops to squeeze as much mpg as we can.
A big thanks to you and all who continue to ferret out these physics-related minutia which really ice the cake!