View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 09:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Bruce
EcoModding Lurker

1999 Ford Ranger

Time to mod my 1999 Ford Ranger. It was a former fleet vehicle for a muffler shop with a 2.5L 4cyl engine, auto transmission, and no A/C. It's a perfect candidate for mods due to the dents and dings in the bodywork, so I don't mind drilling a few holes here and there. I have an ultra gauge and unmodified I get about 24 mpg on my commute in warm weather, and 21 in the Ohio winter. My goal is to reach 30 mpg on a regular basis.

I use this truck to haul an occasional load of firewood or livestock feed so an aerocap is out.

So far I've built a half bed cover and grill block. The half bed cover is attached with three wingnuts and removes in a minute or so. I also stuffed pipe insulation in the gap under the hood and under the signal lights.

I installed the grill block this weekend and made my first commute with it yesterday. 24 mpg on the way to work at less than 20 degrees F, and 25.1 mpg on the way home at near 40 degrees F. One trip doesn't prove much, but that cold weather trip was better than my warm weather trips before.

I removed the mudflaps tonight and will see what happens tomorrow.

Next up is to put a small wing on the back of the cab. Any suggestions on the width and angle would be appreciated. I'm thinking something that extends 12-16” back from the cab at a 15 degree angle might do the trick. Advice?

Thanks.