View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
olds455
EcoModding Lurker

Century - '03 Buick Century
90 day: 35.41 mpg (US)
I found gains at highway speeds using the Ultragauge. I could see how much I could feather off the throttle and still maintain speed or just let it SLOWLY creep down. In the Buick, I thought I was doing a good job feathering to just sustain cuise speed at around 36mpg instant, then watching the UG and the speedo, I could feather down to around 43mpg instant. Once up to 55 to 58 mph, I can average 43mpg in the winter and 46.5 in the summer on a 10 mile stretch of small rolling hills at highway speed. The Buick is not happy cruising at less than 55 mph, the convertor locks around there, so above that by three to four seems to make it happy and allow me to feather to a good number. I'm currently at 61% above EPA average. I commute 55 miles in about 70 minutes with a fair number of stops and lights in the 12 miles closest to home. The auto makes it more challenging, but you can probably get there. An air dam helped me quite a bit. Made getting big number averages easier. Not a whole lot of fuel log for the Century without an airdam or other mods. Before adjusting my driving, I could sneak a 30.5mpg tank in the summer and 28.5 in the winter. Now I can get 34.5 on my morning commute when the ambient temps are 40 deg. (higher on the commute home.)