Thread: K5 Blazer?
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #26 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper Tdiesel View Post
most likely id run a stock 6.2 diesel, but there are others.....

3.9L 4BT or isuzu 3.9L 4BD1 or 4BD2 these engines all have max rpms of about 2,800 rpms...so the more aggreseve road gears are more needed for them on the open road to help lower RPMs
There was a guy reporting to get 30MPG on highway with a 2WD Suburban repowered with a 4BT and a ZF 5-speed out of a Ford truck.

Quote:
if i ran it as a gaser id use a GM 4.3L V-6 that's a 350ci V-8 with two pistons chopped off...the 305 V-8 gas engine has power levels that are about a wash with the 4.3L so no i wouldn't use it...
All that addiction to V8 engines back there is not pretty much justifiable. In other countries the Chevy trucks were not available with the V8 engines.

Quote:
if i was really going corny.
id do dedicated Propane with high compression to take advantage of the high octane of propane. the GM 4.3L would be the easiest to get parts to mod for this....
GM engines have been favored for industrial/stationary applications using either LPG or CNG, and also on-highway usage of CNG (altough it's more usual in other countries). If you could consider a turbocharger with an over-booster to be activated while using the gaseous fuel, could still hold a smaller gasoline jug at least to eventually provide some limp-home mode, in a similar way to the current European Opel Zafira CNG