View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 10:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Bruce
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post

Anyway I like the partial roof extension idea. I did one on my Civic with good results. See this thread for videos and notes:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ion-23319.html

I expect your cab roof is slightly domed, rounded. Getting a smooth transition to an extension requires some craftsmanship. Or just attach it to cab's exterior rear wall as high up as you can and hope for the best, if done that way you could hinge it. Side panels will be good supports.

I think 15 degrees down slope might be a hair too steep. Do a search on "degrees" in the aerodynamics subforum and you should find plenty posts. Anything from "aerohead" aka Phil Knox deserves your close attention.

How about a full aero cap made of flat panels? Slit it lengthwise into 3-4 pieces. Stow it in bed for large loads. However would probably require tailgate down when stowed in the bed I think.
Thanks for the link to your thread and info. I pulled the 15 degrees from memory, but didn't know if it was dependent on other factors such as my wing width and/or drop distance to my bed cover. Obviously I have to do a bunch of research.

I've been thinking about how to make a smooth transition to the wing, and bolting to the back of my cab seems like a good idea.

No go on the aero cap. I need to be able to reach over the side of my bed and can't take the time to remove an aero cap. Besides, I hate driving a truck with a cap because of the loss of visibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
So you could eventually replace some body panels with fiberglass for weight-savings. Getting a single-piece front clip would also be a good option, since there would be less gaps between panels to prejudice the aerodynamics
Actually, the front is in great shape. I also wouldn't spend the money. I'm trying to do this with scrap materials.