View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 06:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
George Tyler
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
You are right, it does not work on the prius cells. It only works on the cylinder cells. The charge used is 350ma, which btw is what most wall warts use to charge nicad batteries. The non US models had a charger included in the trunkthat did something similar in a different way to revive a low or bad pack.
I have 3 of the NHW10's imported from Japan, they have "D" cells. I have been working on the batteries, replacing cells etc as they were not supported by Toyota here. (New Zealand). recently, toyota have started supporting them and I have bought a new pack for one of them from Toyota. The small 12V charger you talk about only charges the pack to enable the car to start if it is left standing for a long time. The "D" cells do act very differently to the prismatic ones, if you charge a totally flat D cell carefully it recovers full performance, but the D cells don't. the D cells in these are 16 years old and have done 300,000 km or 200,000 miles, the self discharge rates have increased on some cells to the point where if they stand for a week they are flat.