View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #24 (permalink)
wobombat
EcoModding Lurker

Lincoln - '00 Lincoln Ls
90 day: 24.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmjinman View Post
An "el-cheapo" alternative could be to get some of that 2" wide clear packing tape (like ultra-wide "scotch tape"), and create your block from that. Since it's clear, your grille would show through it, and it wouldn't be too visible unless the light was reflecting off it just right.

Better mounting that duct tape? Sure. Let's see - glue it on with silicone, tie it to the grille around the perimeter with "zip-ties", maybe use a few well-placed sheet metal screws - - - I think one guy made a "panel" that actually replaced the grille - - -
The packing tape idea is genius! I used it to make a lower grille block so that except for a 2" X 12" spot under the license plate, I have a full grille block, and it really isn't that noticeable. I'm considering using the packing tape to make rear wheel skirts too. I also like the silicone idea. I have some extra silicone sealer around with nothing to do, but I'm assuming that's the wrong type of silicone to use. Isn't silicone also really hard to remove? and I don't understand how sheet metal screws would work without putting holes in the car's body.
Anyway, in driving the car today with the grille, it really seemed to warm up fast and coast well. I can't wait to get my scanguage and see how much better it's doing. And in normal driving, I hit 3/4 tank at 100 miles. Right now I'm at 130 and I haven't hit the 3/4 mark yet.