View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 11:39 PM   #26 (permalink)
wmjinman
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
Outstanding!!! Great to hear the packing tape is working for you. Just be sure to keep one eye glued to the temperature gauge so you don't get it too hot! Before you're done, you'll probably have to adjust the size of your opening so it's as small as possible, but still cools sufficiently

To me, the silicone seems to be a nice, flexible, waterproof "glue" that can be relatively easily peeled off if ever needed. Of course, there are different types, and I'm not an expert on them or anything. But the clear stuff (GE, I think) seems pretty easy to peel off. It may leave a residue though, so caution is probably in order. The Permatex "ultra black" is incredible, BUT - - - if you ever manage to accidentally get it on anything, it makes it really nasty & black. I wouldn't suggest using it on anything you wanted to be able to return to "nice & shiny condition"!! HAH!!!

Well yeah - the sheet metal screw idea would require holes somewhere. Depends on how your car's made. I was thinking that if you wanted to stay with the BEHIND THE GRILLE block, maybe you could screw it into the frame around the radiator, or ? ? ? Just a wild idea - no guarrantee it was a good one!

Great to hear about your extra 30 miles before the 3/4 tank mark. ... of course, the position of the fuel needle is probably one of the least accurate ways to figure your mileage. Nevertheless, if you know from experience that you're usually down to the 3/4 mark at 100 miles and you're at 130 & still not to it yet, that's a pretty good indication you're having a "good tank". Can't wait until your next fill-up to see how it comes out. Hope it's a new "personal best" for that car!!
The Following User Says Thank You to wmjinman For This Useful Post:
wobombat (03-23-2013)