View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #308 (permalink)
NeilBlanchard
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
The glue that I want to use will be able to impregnate the fiberglass. Last year I made a wheel cover with an old sheet (flannel) and this glue, and it has help up very well so far.

I will be experimenting with smooth XPS foam and also with a smooth surface that is then scored and see if that has noticeably better bond, and if the surface can be smooth. If I need to do peel ply then I will - but folks I am not necessarily trying for a super smooth surface. The most important thing for this prototype is to see how efficient it is.

I will likely make the next one quite differently; either with aluminum honeycomb sandwich board as the interior surfaces with foam added to form the outer shape; or this car will be used as a plug to make molds, and then make body panels that go around a metal structure.

The main challenge I have is securely attaching the suspension and subframe(s) to the fiberglass composite sandwich. The can be metal reinforced (possibly inside the main battery channels in the floor) but if it is strong enough with just the suspension through attachments and gussets, then I'll test it that way.

This foam is pretty strong stuff - it is about 25psi compression, and it flexes under bending up to a snapping point. The glue is actually somewhat flexible when dry, too, which I like. The fiberglass will make this car very strong in bending and torsion. It is only really the point loads at attachment points where I need to be really concerned with. The suspension will need to cradle the chassis, and I think it will be the hardst in the front.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/