View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 05:05 AM   #73 (permalink)
AndrzejM
Master EcoModder

Berta - '97 BMW 318 tds Compact
90 day: 62.03 mpg (US)

Charlie - '07 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive
90 day: 37.58 mpg (US)

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C
90 day: 53.22 mpg (US)

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
90 day: 60.61 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Key question - how long do you plan on keeping it, and how long will it survive. The thing that tends to kill cars here is rust. If it is solid then you fix the other stuff and keep it going.

Lets say these repairs cost £300 but you get 2 years out of it, thats ~£12 a month in parts the car owes you. I would bet you would make that back in fuel saved over running the 328 (or even the 318iS) every day. Chop one of those in and the gains get even better.

More money saved = more parts for a faster 535i.
That was exactly the decision I needed to make regarding Berta. It turned out that engine is in a very bad shape after I bought it, but the body is in a mint condition in terms of rust, anyway ;-) So I've decided to spend lot's of $$$ for rebuilding the engine. I did it myself so it wasn't so bad. I just needed $ for parts and machining the parts (head and block). I've spend lot's of $$ but I'm thinking of keeping Berta running for at least 4-5 years, so it's not so bad after all

Quote:
Gerhard Plattner: "The best attitude is to consider fuel saving a kind of sport. Everybody who has enough money for a strong car, can drive fast and hit the pedal. But saving fuel requires concentration, self-control and cleverness. It's a challenge with the nice effect of saving you money that you can use for other more important things."