View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 06:10 AM   #74 (permalink)
320touring
Master EcoModder

The Mistress - '88 Bmw 320i Touring SE
Team m8
Last 3: 27.17 mpg (US)

Germany Beadle - '91 Mercedes 300td (estate, N/A)
90 day: 24.63 mpg (US)

The Bloodylingo - '05 Citroen Berlingo Multispace Desire
90 day: 39.77 mpg (US)

Shanner Scaab - '03 Saab 9-5 estate Vector
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)

Clio 182 - '05 Renault Clio RS 182 182
90 day: 31.73 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrzejM View Post
Don't spend on parts and service all the money you'll save on fuel!
The thing is, the parts will cost more than the car is worth, but be considerably less than the cost of fuel for a year..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Key question - how long do you plan on keeping it, and how long will it survive. The thing that tends to kill cars here is rust. If it is solid then you fix the other stuff and keep it going.

Lets say these repairs cost £300 but you get 2 years out of it, thats ~£12 a month in parts the car owes you. I would bet you would make that back in fuel saved over running the 328 (or even the 318iS) every day. Chop one of those in and the gains get even better.

More money saved = more parts for a faster 535i.
Good question, and one I cannot answer right now..

Car seems fairly solid (for a mk3 Golf!) has had welding on the front of the sills, but nothing major. Re the other parts of the Fleet,

the iS was swapped for the golf, the 328 is lucky if it does 800 miles a month, and I've also got rid of 2 other cars in the last month.

Now have a better cashflow situation, and am considering possibly buying something thats not just scrap.. maybe

Good news is that we're 100 miles past Stat change, and no issues (the plastic housings can warp and leak when they're old..)

US MPG for my Renault Clio 182

---------------------------------------------------