View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 10:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
hungryhunter
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Once you calibrate it with a fill up you should be pretty close. I'd imagine +/- 1 mpg or so unless your driving habits vary quite a bit.

You should never really lug an engine. However, during acceleration, mpgs will always be low on the instant readout. That being said, acceleration techniques vary from member to member. I prefer to accelerate at near best BSFC almost always. However, I know MetroMPG prefers to accelerate more slowly. We're both able to achieve 100%+ above the EPA rating in our cars, so we've come to the conclusion that acceleration technique really just isn't that important. All the other stuff like minimizing brake use and timing lights is way more important.
Yes, Thanks, The coasting, even with the engine running is huge. The scan gauge really helps you appreciate this as well. At 55 mph and coasting, engine idling at operating temp the readout is 187 mpg. You can actually see your ave going up the more you coast, even at slower speeds. I find myself doing that more as well with the SG.