View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
As in those other threads I simply purchased a pre-made [4] piece block that bolts into the grille quadrant. I'd imagine that in the hottest weather I can still leave the upper two pieces installed for solo (non-towing) miles.

I distinguish between a true "wnter front" (the MOPAR piece) and the grille block as the former is strictly cold weather (Jan/Feb, here), and the latter is use-able through most of the rest of the year (I'm expecting that June - September that it will be but two pieces in operation as A/C use becomes non-optional. I also, FWIW, block off the heater core circuit via valving during this stretch of time).

I use an ULTRAGAUGE OBD-II reader to monitor temps. A few spikes above coolant thermostat opening don't mean too much, IMO, but steady temps above that point to the need to admit more air, directly.

I don't believe that in our climate/terrain that blocking off the non-grille openings is a good idea (as maiming the ability of the truck to do work is counterproductive . . it would take very little to damage this expensive motor in re overheating). Same for aftermarket tuners. No matter the brand or the specific programming, the need to monitor exhaust gas temperature becomes a requirement to avoid melted aluminum when using one of those toys.

On a thread on CF one poster indicates that the air intake system opening to the fenderwell originally had a seal. I'll add one. The turbulence before this location should shake out most of the dust/bugs (the reason I don't use what has been called the HOME DEPOT CAI).

I don't know the daily time of my departures on workdays (on-call) so I don't always use the block heater outside of "winter". On days off, then, yes, about two hours of time. It's easily worth 30-40F of heat rise.

The grille block definitely makes a difference on my "commute"; temps come up faster and don't stall in their rise while on the highway in this 7-mile drive. On days when I am off of work and doing errands the grille block makes for steadier, higher temps when the ambient air temps are cool and would otherwise make for lower coolant temperatures.

All in all I think pre-heating fluids in a CTD is more likely to be of value over a mainly "closed" set of grille openings in the South Central and Southwestern US. The four piece grille block on mine is more about slowing down the air hitting the heat exchangers. This, I think, makes it useable over a longer calendar period.