View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
jayliu1984
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmjinman View Post
Yes, the ScanGauge shows the fuel flow. Actually, your car's compterized system uses it, but the ScanGauge picks up the value & then displays it (scroll through the menu items until you find it)

Using the position of the factory fuel gauge needle to try to judge accurate fuel use is pretty much impossible except for rough approximations (example: usually 200 miles before it drops to 1/4, this time 250 miles = probably better than usual fuel economy on that tank), but that's about as close as you're gonna get without actually filling up at the pump and doing the calculation (or having a calibrated ScanGauge.)

Not sure about your car, but on mine, the fuel gauge needle's position will change depending on what kind of slope the car's on. If I was coming down a mountain from a ski resort, I think my needle would read lower.... then when I leveled-off, it would go back up. (or vice-versa - maybe I'm remembering backwards)

But 19 mpg on an Accord? Sounds like something's wrong - it's constantly running rich or something? Does the exhaust smell really strong? like there's un-burned gas in it or something? I'd think it would be hard to get as low as 19 in that thing unless you're hot-rodding around like "Ricky Racer" all the time.
That's the strange thing! I have tried all the techniques I know. P&G, accelerate really really slow, or very brisk, coast in and out of gear, pumped tire all way up to 38PSI.

I can't think of anything now. The rated EPA is 21 in city, I do 100% city but I am very concerned that with all the technique I empoly, it is still below EPA.