View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 06:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
beatr911
Master EcoModder

B2300 - '96 Mazda B2300 SE

Focus - '05 Ford Focus ST

The red car - '00 Honda Insight
The dirt bike front fender is an aerodynamic nightmare also. The front fender and the radiator shrouds are the two aero offenders with the rider himself being by far the worst. Probably most of the "lift" is caused by the wind resistance on the rider way high up on the bike/rider combination, effectively trying to push the light bike over backwards.

I second a handle bar mount windshield if for no other reason than to make the ride more comfortable. I doubt it will make much of an aerodynamic improvement. If you want temporary-mount aerodynamics you're pretty much relying on your fabrication skills learned in mech school. This way you can go as conservative/extreme as will suit your taste. Note that the roadracing fairings are designed for handlebars far lower than yours.

A second set of shorter fork springs and a matching shorter shock swap will help the stability and reduce frontal area some.

I'm guessing the best you'll see on this motor with easy street riding is about 35-40 mpg. The motors are just designed to run best near or at WOT and consume alot of fuel in the process. They are great at what they are designed to do.

Please report back to prove me wrong though. Really. I'm very curious to see what an off-road 2 stroke can do.

Last edited by beatr911; 03-25-2013 at 06:16 PM..