View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
Saks
EcoModding Lurker

The Corsa - '04 Opel Corsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheria View Post
If a knock sensor is being triggered, how can I tell? I've never even heard of a knock sensor.

Yes the temperature in Albuquerque went down the past week. It was only 17 degrees this a.m. but warmed up into the 50s.

A 5 mpg difference between premium and regular is sizable. It's worth noting.

My Scion xD's avg. mpg. sensor was about 2 off also. My new car is confusing and I am still trying to figure out all the gauges and buttons.
A knock sensor is a sensor that can sense if your engine does have bad combustion, and that can lead to harming your engine components. So if a knock sensor is triggered then it regulates the spark on the spark plugs trying to fix that bad combustion. Usualy it can lead to bad combustion because of lower octane fuels (the bigger the octane the less chance the engine will have a bad combustion). So that's the first thing.
The second thing you should know that on newer cars while driving, if you put the car in neutral and let it flow, it spends fuel because it needs to keep the engine running...but if you leave the car in a gear and just release the accelerator pedal and let it float the fuel consumption will be 0! Because the car uses the inertion to keep running (to understand to keep the car running a engine has to use fuel, to rotate the crankshaft then the gearbox and then the wheels...but as I said if you leave the car in gear and just release the accelerator pedal then this whole process is going backwards...then the wheel are rotating the gearbox and the crankshaft and the result is, no fuel is needed to keep the engine running). But as I said this system is only on newer cars, and your Sophia is one of them