View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Dave View Post
What's supposed to be the benefit of this?

As this was on the subject of CTD heat exchangers, there are, externally:

1] Coolant
2] CAC (charge air cooler)
3) PSF
4] HVAC condenser
5] And, for those trucks so equipped: ATF

Internally, the "heater core" and A/C (blast it, can't think of name).

Up to seven, IOW.

I shut off the heater core circuit (would be better to bypass-flow the thing with several valves & bypass hoses) as this keeps the A/C a minimum of 5F cooler in hottest weather measured at the center A/C vent outlet.

About every month or so I open it for a while to keep things "fresh" in the heater core circuit. The drawback to this is that one has only coldest air temp available (i.e, not a drawback in this USGS-designated "humid desert" where it almost never rains but is 90% humid daily; and never cools off at night, in main, even though temps don't stray above 95F. The worst, IOW, of both of those climate types. Why few people live south of San Antonio).

I never turn off the A/C from about April first through mid-October. Fastest cooldown via RECIRC, and then fan speed lightens the amp/volt draw of the HVAC blower. Shutting off the heater core circuit brings this time in temp transition down considerably.

We don't have winter. But we have a summer that kills (large group outcome life expectancy). Many companies with outdoor jobs will not hire those not already acclimated (already working thusly).

Consider it the reverse of the worst of winter. A/C is mandatory, so how to limit drain on engine accessories. Etc. I don't see the FLEXLITE electric fan replacement of the mechanical fan as workable.

The thinking is:

Radiator fan run time :: How to reduce?

In depth on A/C usage

Last edited by slowmover; 03-26-2013 at 08:56 PM..