Thread: Heated Fuel
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #46 (permalink)
Air-Hybrid
EcoModding Apprentice

I came across an article some years back that laid out a very good description of why heating the fuel (especially petrol) is far less effective than heating the intake air to promote good atomisation (at least until DI gasoline came along).
I can't find the article now but the guy ended up with an intake layout that used three throttle bodies, where only the centre one did any carburetion and air entering it was pre-heated, whilst the other two TBs ran just ambient air (no fuel).
The principle went, that even very hot gasoline (he used exhaust heat iirc) will quickly re-condense in a cool air stream due to the mass of air having a far greater ability to absorb heat than the petrol could give up before it temp dropped to well below its condensation point, so the fuel droplets coagulated and went back to being poorly mixed.
*edit*I think his 'compromise' of running one heated, very rich carb and two cooler intakes was in an effort to ensure that the charge had got well past the heat of vapourisation point before it was 'mixed down' with fresh air.

Last edited by Air-Hybrid; 03-27-2013 at 09:50 AM..