Thread: Heated Fuel
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #47 (permalink)
hungryhunter
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by metromizer View Post
Didn't Jim Fueling or Smokey Yunick do some research on this back in the 1970's? Seems I saw pictures of a Vega or Pinto engine bay...

If I remember correctly, the article stated you need some pretty high temps, well over coolant temps of +200F, to realize any significant gains. Just repeating what I read, I'm pretty sure the system used exhaust manifold heat and a heat exchanger. Super-heated fuel sounds tough to manage, from a saftey perspective. But then again, so does internal combustion when compared to an 1600's cooking fire or 1800's steam boiler.
Damn, It's so funny because as I was reading down the thread I thought of that article. It was in Hot Rod I think. The one I read involved a Pontiac Fiero.
He said at the time that the problem with gasoline is that it is a mixture of many chemicals all with different vaporization rates. The separation that occured during just heating caused problems. I don't remember the specifics. What he came up with was a system to homogenize this heated mixture using a turbocharger turbine and an exhaust heated manifold box. He claimed super HP gains and 200 mpg or something like that. I'm going to google it and see if I can find it. I remember Hot Rod testing the car and confirming Smokey's claims. They predicted aftermarket kits for cars and then I never heard anything about it again.......................It a conspiracy I tell you