View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 08:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel_Dave
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff88 View Post
Ok so it sounds like I came up with another unicorn idea. What if I ran the same setup, but killed all the cylinders. The 'key' to reactivate them would either be putting it in 'D' or putting in in 'D' and pressing the accelerator. Then they would all go back on like normal. Or is this no different then a normal kill switch?

Would it need a heavier flywheel if it only ran one cylinder in neutral and all of them in drive?

Going back to wmjinman's point, how do the modern deactivated engines hold the valves open? Computer tells it to stay open, but what actually stops gravity from holding them down? Also do these vehicles have a camshaft? With yhe ability to stop the valve action I would think the nudge (excuse the improper name) on the shaft would need to be out of the way, so it doesn't force the valve down.

Thanks!
Jeff
Google "cylinder deactivation". There's quite a bit of info out there...even wikipedia:
Variable displacement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And actually you need to keep the valves closed--not open.

And with an automatic kill switch remember that the kill switch is only halh the picture-- you still need to restart the engine. With an automatic tranny you can't bump start so that means you would have to use the starter to restart...which has other issues like wearing out the starter and draining the battery down.

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html