View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #155 (permalink)
Daox
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
The full grill block works alright in winter as long as I don't get on the highway (60 mpg +). If that happens, I have to pull out one of the slats of pipe insulation and I'm okay. In summer, I take out another slat of the pipe insulation and just run the lower block.

Is this acceptable? Yeah it probably is, but I want to take it to the next level. I only have a 7 mile commute and in winter even with the FULL grill block I don't get up to temperature, and if I want heat that keeps the coolant temp even lower. So, I am looking for a full grill block plus more. I haven't exactly figured out what more is yet, but I am going to do more. I am thinking I may insulate the engine block in addition to a belly pan. If I do this, I am going to need additional cooling and that is where the actuated grill block comes in. The warm up time and heat retaining abililty should noticably increase mileage on my short commute. The first 5 minutes of my commute are always horribly low compared to any of the other segments.