View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #43 (permalink)
jayliu1984
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by christofoo View Post
My instincts (and browsing the ecomodder garage for Accords), make me think that 25-30mpg should be doable, even with the short commute, cold weather, and auto transmission, although it hinges critically on the amount of effort expended on eco-driving.

1880 miles / 25 mpg = 75 gal
26 gal * $3.7 = $96 saving per year

1880 miles / 30 mpg = 63 gal
38 gal * $3.7 = $141 saving per year

Either way, I do agree with redpoint that probably isn't enough money on the table to make or break your budget. There's probably a lot more money you could squeeze out of capital equipment (an older car). (As a rule of thumb I say a shorter commute always favors an older car unless you need it for something else; this is the economics of depreciation against maintenance.)

If you do start cycling (which I love!) do consider the effects of slick weather. Some folks will ride studded ice tires; I'm not one of them. But cold weather is fine by me, skiers have all the answers for that.
Guys guys, by no means I am really that desperate about saving some money. But why am I so concerned about this issue is that...

First of all, I want to find out if there IS a problem at all with the car. It has nothing to do with saving money, I just want a trouble free car.

Secondly, it's not so simple as 4 mile trip. Being in a family that has only 1 car, we do drive anywhere between 6k to 12k a year.

Thirdly, I like to keep the car until it dies (at least that's my plan), I am pretty sure the gas price will break $8/gallon in 5 years.

Fourthly, riding a bike is not an option because I drive my wife to work too. Yes, if I am just driving myself it would be a 3 mile trip LOL. But, I do take in consideration that we will change job some time down the road and it will likely be in 15-20km range.

I am sure most people here have the financial means to NOT hypermile, but I imagine many people are doing it for many other reasons. To me, since I drive AT, I want to occupy myself with Hypermilling techniques while drving so I don't get bored.

Last edited by jayliu1984; 03-28-2013 at 02:37 PM..