Thread: Yowsa!
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dad and Dotter
EcoModding Lurker

Yowsa!

Greetings, everyone.

My daughter is an automotive technician with an interest in ecomodding. Her trouble is that she has little time due to her work, pets and boyfriend.

Enter semi-retired Dad. I've a technical backgound and have always been a tinkerer, one way or another. I'm old enough that I used to be a shade tree mechanic before fuel injection, electronics, and ridiculously tightly packed, poorly accessible engine compartments came on the scene.

So.... I catch the bug from my daughter and start looking at a lot of stuff and reading a lot of forums.

Ecomodder seems an island of sanity, reason, and civility.

As a techie with an almost Aspergerian desire for measurement, I'd love to be able to do my own emissions measurements and logging, especially on-the-fly. To buy such a system I think is about $6K-- that's what a local school paid for theirs. Many of us semi-retired Dads don't have that kind of money in petty cash on a regular basis, so I thought that I would put together my own system (at least until Publisher's Clearinghouse shows up at my door with that big, big check).

Apparently DIY emissions analysis is a very rare topic, so rare that I can't find anything.

"Who will help me plant this wheat?" said the little red rooster.

I have seen it written on these pages that ecommodding is about the fun, not the money. I like that sentiment very much, and I would add to it my own great desire to keep learning and sharing what I learn.