View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #55 (permalink)
RobertISaar
Master EcoModder

MC SBX - '95 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS
Last 3: 29.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
I am not familiar with that. Could you explain a little more? I know I can wiki/google it, but I would like to know it's importance/relevance from a fuel economy point of view.

from an automotive standpoint:
the throwout bearing is what "disconnects" the clutch from the flywheel when you depress the clutch. there's a lot more to it than this(especially once you start getting into cable vs hydraulic clutches), but the TOB is what does that work.

i wouldn't put too much thought into it, other than if you plan on neutral coasting(or otherwise just having the pedal held down for a while), just throw the shifter inbetween gears and let the pedal out. no TOB wear and the clutch wear from engaging will be nearly nothing since the disk will REALLY quickly accelerate up to flywheel speed since it won't have any significant load behind it.

motorcycle.... been a long time since i've had to replace one of those clutches, i actually forget how they work(on a component level) ATM. they act pretty similarly to the way the clutches in an automatic transmission do.