View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #577 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
fins

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Every time I see a cool low drag car like the M-1000, the first thought I have is to see if an electric drivetrain would be likely to be used to lower the drag even more. Because they require far less (or almost no) air flow, and they don't have hot exhaust systems. Cooling a hot internal combustion engine with a minimal drag cooling system means that the operating temperatures will be dancing on the edge of reliability.

Also, seeing the chassis for the M-1000 shows the design solution for the use of the interior volume that is pushed forward - the front wheels have to fit under the front doors (which are hinged at the back) and the front suspension is directly under the front seats.

Very often, low drag cars push the engine to the back - where it fits and people do not - and this means that the heaviest part of the car is at just about the worst place in a low drag car; because of the issues of side winds. The rear fenders on the M-1000 may just solve some of this, though?
I think the fins would help with the CG vs CP issue,although being up top,they would introduce a bit of roll moment.When Morelli did the banana car he moved the fins down behind the rear wheels to help kill any chance of that.