View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 12:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
AaronMartinSole
Your car looks ridiculous

The Fantastic Festiva - '90 Ford Festiva L
90 day: 43.16 mpg (US)

A Civic Duty - '96 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 34.9 mpg (US)

Ranger Danger - '96 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 17.42 mpg (US)
How should you drive a turbo-charged car efficiently?

So I just picked up a 1987 Chevrolet Sprint TURBO!!! It has been the find of my life. It's a beautiful, charming little thing. And my last tank of 237 miles got almost 41 miles a gallon. (40.73)

Now this is the way I drove during that tank. For one, it was 70% highway miles, with some city driving. And I tried as much as possible with 90%+ success, of driving without invoking the beastly power of the turbocharger. The dash actually lights up TURBO when it turns on, so I'm really light on the throttle. This thing can go 0 to 60 in 8.7 seconds, only 2 seconds slower than the V8 Camaro of the same year. It's a sleeper. It's a killer on the racetrack if you want it to be, and an economical power horse. It's like the perfect woman. It's the best of both worlds. It's made of what seems to be 1,600 lbs of light-weight paper and it glides like an eagle. It has 12 inch tires. It is a thing of beauty.

But my question is, what is the most fuel-efficient way to drive a turbo-charged car? Do I invoke the maddening force and beauty of the turbo charger? Or do I keep it's secret power hidden and subdued, softly kissing the throttle whilst gracefully going through the city? I wish I could keep her, but I need the money. But I have never loved a car more. It's so nice to see her in the morning, waiting for me in the garage. "Hey sweetheart, how'd you sleep? Good? Let's go someplace. I love you."

Last edited by AaronMartinSole; 03-31-2013 at 12:55 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to AaronMartinSole For This Useful Post:
jeff88 (03-31-2013)