View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 01:08 AM   #31 (permalink)
myrefugeisintheLord
Learning Aeromodding

Metro - '93 Geo Metro 4 door hatchback
90 day: 35.26 mpg (US)
Lol..... Ya.... Let me find my phone data cord to transfer some pictures........

Okay, so I ended up having to get different nuts. The locking ones I had weren't letting the bolt screw in easily. I thought that might be why a couple of RAVadoodle's nuts came loose from the epoxy. So I went back and looked for an alternative. Here's what I found:

Regular nuts with a spiked washer attached on one end. Both pieces spin independently. I forget what they are called. I figured they would stay in place better, and the bolt would screw in better too. Win win, right? We'll see. (I don't mind having to tightening them occasionally.)

Last Tuesday I FINALLY got to the actual process. I was careful to avoid getting JB-Weld around the securing bolt, but I always seemed to manage to get some near there anyway. I cleaned all threads and around the bolt before placing them in the holder I made. Good to go? Ya right....

The next time I saw them was Thursday evening. Plenty of dry time. I went to screw the bolts out, and it was tough, then not coming, then spinning easily but not coming out... I was WAAAYYY too tired to be messing with them at that time. (Pretty tired now. Just warning! ) So I fairly easily managed to strip one of the lug nut set up. I sat there for a few minuets trying to wrap my exhausted brain around what just happened, lol, and it hit me! DUH!!! I left a bit of the bolt extended through the nut, and during the cleaning process, ended up smearing JB-Weld into the threads.

I was trying to screw through JB-Weld! SERIOUSLY STUPID! Lol. Luckily the bolts I got to hold everything in place are long enough to be able to get to the tips to cut them off.

Another lesson learned!! But I have a feeling I'm not done learning from this particular project yet........

So, with all the other stuff that's going on right now, I'm having to take baby steps to get this done. I'm taking almost as long as my new job is taking to get me trained and on the job!!!!