View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 01:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
AaronMartinSole
Your car looks ridiculous

The Fantastic Festiva - '90 Ford Festiva L
90 day: 43.16 mpg (US)

A Civic Duty - '96 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 34.9 mpg (US)

Ranger Danger - '96 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 17.42 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
By low RPMs I don't necessarily mean close-to-idling, which would lead to some turbo-lag, but going in the 2000 RPM range instead of some 3000 RPM for example. But using the turbo to go to 40 MPH faster and then kicking into 5th gear seems better than crawling to reach the same speed, so eventually when you hit the throttle it can be more effective, depending on the gear selected and other factors such as the traffic, pavement, etc.
YEAH! This I will do. The testing will not be exact, but I will report back in 200 miles to see how this style of driving goes. And the best part is I get to use the turbo. Oh yes. But activating the turbo does get the rpms relatively high, more than 3,000 rpm if I remember correctly, but I'm going to have to look closer next time because I haven't driven the turbo much. Maybe it doesn't get the RPMs that high, just to a normal RPM level faster. I'll have to check. But yeah, I'll try and use the turbo from a full stop and get up to 40 this time around rather than the slow acceleration through gears I've been doing. But none of this applies to highway driving so... the results will probably be inconclusive anyway. But it does mean that I get to use my turbo, so that is nice. Maybe I'll do a pure 50 mile highway run sometime just out of curiosity to see what it'll do. Just need to find a nice truck going 50 mph, lol. I do not tailgate. I keep an excessively safe distance. Fuel economy isn't worth death. That should be a bumper sticker or something. It sounds cool. And engine kill switches terrify me. All I can imagine are accidents and tree collisions.