View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #44 (permalink)
XprizeRoadTrip
EcoModding Lurker

• Estimated at around 2,000 actual parts vs. around 10,000 parts on typical car
  • A fraction of the metal castings
  • 1/2 or less physical material input mass
  • Designed for mass production
  • Price too early to nail down, but given the above, it's likely financial mortals could afford vs. current options
  • Kit car option has been circulated several times, probably too early to discuss
  • Manufacturing is also probably too early to discuss. There's industry interest, ongoing dialog, ongoing outreach, multiple options and strategies that continue to evolve as regulatory timeline plays out and consumer prototype comes together
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog 44 View Post
I can at least dispel one thing. Their Production Prototype though made from machined aluminum, is designed to be made using cast and stamped mass production techniques.

In the economies of scale enjoyed by mass manufactures, i see no reason why it couldn't eventually get to be well below $15k. There are so few parts with much less raw material. A sparse interior. And all the body panels should be made of some sort of plastic.

They've said they do want to build it. I believe in the Google video they said that, i'll find the reference and give you the context for it..

Last edited by XprizeRoadTrip; 04-01-2013 at 03:24 PM..