View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 06:21 AM   #85 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.1 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
Virtually any new car will not exhibit problems when it is new, or nearly new. If you can't discriminate in choosing one product over another based on your past experiences you would buy literally any car - just to give it a chance. That would be naive.
Perhaps so. JD powers and the like do test fairly new cars, as those are the ones on sale now. When a car develops relatively few problems when new compared to its peers, it is likely that that remains so over the years. They test by volume and get data on new cars.
Your past experience is about cars that don't get built any more. (an estiimated guess as you are not really giving much data).

One example.
My parents had 2 Renaults, a Morris and a Daf before they bought a Honda Civic which lasted longer than the rest combined.
Daf and Morris are gone but Renault is still there. My brother in law has one now, and it at 12 years and many miles is still going strong without much ado.
Renaults were really bad, but no more.

One of my friends had a Renault which failed as the valve timing belt broke.
Funny thing is that it was just replaced. But the mechanic was lazy and made room to switch the belts by bending the belt cover cum guide, and did not bend it back properly so the belt failed quite soon after, rubbed to pieces by the cover. Proper procedure is to remove the cover while changing the belt.
The car was good, it was just ruined by a dork.

You still haven't said what you drive now. Why is that, then? Surely nobody would be so impertinent as to make fun of YOUR car?

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 04-02-2013 at 04:59 PM..