View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 01:09 AM   #27 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Our local freeway used to have a 55 MPH speed limit, which they changed while I owned my first car. Between my tires riding roughly from overinflation (they ended up falling apart) and other problems with my car, I did not feel safe driving faster than fifty-five, so I maintained that until I was stationed in Germany. If someone comes up behind me, I may change lanes to get out of their way. If they tailgate and become a nuisance, I will probably shift to neutral and wait them out. If they turn on their high beams I adjust my mirrors accordingly--I really do not like brights!

Back before gas reached the prohibitive price of two dollars a gallon people would find out that I drove 55 MPH and start yelling at me, which only provided amusement--this was only an academic problem, but they always told me that I obstructed traffic, and somehow I would be ticketed for that while they would not be cited for speeding.

Well, at least for the first four weeks of each month.

Honestly, though, I am not under any obligations to become an accomplice to a crime. If people want to speed, I am not going to try to prevent them, but I am not going to enable them.

Besides, if they are not getting better mileage while behind me, they are doing it wrong!

When I have occasion to pass people it can be complicated because they may not be using cruise control, they may speed up for whatever reason (like character defect), and if the slope changes, I may lose some speed relatively. I sometimes have people stuck behind me as I slowly pass.

I hope that I live longer. I feel like I put myself through much less stress as I drive. I just try to relax. Wherever I am going will still be there whenever I arrive and I might not really want to be there anyway.

What frustrates me are city streets. He who spends the longest waiting at a light wins? I believe that I mentioned before the time that I drove a minibus past a mall. Some kid in an old Japanese car with modifications resulting in more annoyance than performance kept accelerating hard from one green light to the next red, only to have the same minibus catch up at every single light.