View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
yugomodder
EcoModding Lurker

Choosing a charger for 72V Lead Acid

Hi,
I'm trying to choose the right charger for my lead acid battery pack. I'm using flooded lead acid batteries. What I know so far is that the charger needs float charge capability to prevent overcharging, and I can use a 72v charger or multiple smaller chargers. I would like to use an on board charger so that I can plug in anywhere. Will these chargers charge to the correct cell voltage? What is the correct 100% and 0% cell voltage for flooded lead acid batteries? I've tried looking it up but have found answers anywhere from 2.1-2.5 for full.

My battery pack is 12 6v flooded lead acid golf cart batteries.

One option I was thinking of is using two of these chargers in parallel Alloy Shell 900W LiFePo4/Li-Ion/Lead Acid Battery EV Charger - BMSBATTERY
A standard 120V 15A outlet should handle both chargers. If one of them fails while I'm out someplace I can still use the other as a backup. I could mount a power strip inside my car, mount both chargers to a heat sink with room for airflow, and run the cable to the gas cap. This should let me plug in with an extension cord and use both chargers with a standard outlet.

This is another option I was thinking of. Schumacher SE-1072 Multi-Battery Charger

Is it best to leave my battery pack plugged in when not in use? Should I add a desulfator to help keep sulfation at bay?

If you have any suggestions about what charging set ups would work best for me please let me know.

Thank you,