View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
yugomodder
EcoModding Lurker

Keeping a Motor Cool

I'm currently using a 7.5" diameter 9" long series wound motor for my conversion. I bought an Alltrax 72V 450A controller that I want to use but I'm worried about the motor overheating. I can program the amperage limit so that the motor will not overheat, but I would like to be able to fully utilize the controller. If necessary I will get a larger motor, possibly a large forklift motor, that can handle the amperage.

The current motor does not have any obvious cooling. I was thinking of taking the motor apart and drilling or cutting some holes for ventilation and adding a fan to the shaft to force some air through. What parts of a series wound motor do I have to worry most about overheating? It might be possible to water cool the stator using some flexible aluminum tubing, but I think the rotor would have to be fan cooled unless I could submerge it in a dielectric fluid. I don't think that's a good idea though because it could prevent the brushes from making an electrical connection with the commutator.

Please let me know if you have any ideas, suggestions, or experience to share.

Thank you,