View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #169 (permalink)
cvcjebus
Speeder turned hypermiler

Roller Skate - '03 Honda Insight
90 day: 72.34 mpg (US)
Thanks MetroMPG, for all your work and for documenting everything so thoroughly! I just finished rehabbing my pack per your guide and 700 miles in and she is running better than when I bought her 2 years ago. I live in Atlanta and a CEL is an automatic emissions fail. The IMA/ CEL light came on within 5 months of buying the car. The first year I passed by disconnecting the 12v to reset the codes and rushed over to get it tested. This year the CEL and IMA would come on within the first 2 minutes so I was looking at replacement, but at ~$2k selling it was also an inevitable and dismal option. So after finding everything I could on rebuilding these packs I ordered a SB 989 and over spring break I set to it. Total time was 7.5 days as I only had 4 sticks that were <5,000mah upon initial discharge. 3 of those sticks were part of the group of 4 that were wired together (which made me quite nervous) but after 6-8 cycles they all came back up to 6000ish at the same time I replaced the air/fuel ratio sensor (the $320 one at the top of the cat) with one suggested on ecomodder from eBay for $110. It all came together fabulously and the result... passed emissions, got my 13hp and 36ft-lb torque back, and went from only getting low 50's using all the hypermiling tricks i could find all the way up to 75mpg through the hilly roads of north Georgia. I couldn't be happier and I thank you and all the other folks on here that volunteer their wealth of information about this funny little car that has won the hearts of everyone who has every had the pleasure of owning one. If anyone has any questions hit me up as my experience is a bit more recent than some of the others on here. For those thinking about attempting this endeavor, personally for me it was easier than an brake job, engine swap, replacing a laptop screen, building a computer, or even rebuilding an LED aquarium light fixture. I know some say the SB has some significant short comings, but for $165 out the door (as I didn't need replace any of the sub-packs) it got me back on the road! Thanks again everyone and happy hypermiling!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cvcjebus For This Useful Post:
Flakbadger (04-04-2013), j12piprius (12-30-2014)