View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 12:39 AM   #657 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
The basic parameters are a change in x over a stated time - NOAA and climate scientists chose the change and the length of time, not cherry pickers from the land of skepticism.
Sure, and if you look at the data, using standard statistical procedures that are accepted as valid in every other field, you'll see that change in X.

Quote:
Once we get past this of course we have to determine the response - an interesting (and potentially worrying) post.
I can't see it myself, but if so, I'm pretty sure that the people supposedly grabbing power are more likely to act in ways that would improve my overall quality of life than the people currently holding power. I worry about an environmentalist power grab just about as much as black people in the 1960s South worried about a civil rights activist power grab.

Quote:
Democracy ? who needs that.
I'm not, and never have been, a great fan of unlimited democracy. I suppose this is only natural when one grows up as a geek, and finds that the desires of the majority seldom mesh well with your own. I also note that voting on physics seldom turns out well at all :-)

Quote:
Rufo told me that every human race tries every political form and that democracy is used in many primitive societies ... but he didn't know of any civilized planet using it, as Vox Populi, Vox Dei translates as: "My God! How did we get in this mess!"
- R.A. Heinlein

Quote:
Vimes had once discussed the Ephebian idea of ‘democracy’ with Carrot, and had been rather interested in the idea that everyone† had a vote until he found out that while he, Vimes, would have a vote, there was no way in the rules that anyone could prevent Nobby Nobbs from having one as well. Vimes could see the flaw there straight away.
- Terry Pratchett