View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #96 (permalink)
hackish
Calibration Engineer

Subie - '00 Subaru Impreza STi JDM
90 day: 22.49 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
Michael,

You have bits and pieces of this right, but there a lot wrong there as well - too much to comment on at one time. Keep your ears open for contradictory information.
You're right, I rounded the actual numbers to the nearest 10 to protect the source but I do have the data directly from one of the largest tire companies in the world's test cell. They do have a tire specified maximum design criteria and they indeed tested it to +50% above their criteria. The point here is they leave some wiggle room but over-inflating your tires to 2x the published max is a bad idea.

The other info comes from a friend who is an accident investigator. I asked him directly about the over-inflation and his response was "we check the tire pressure 100% of the time when there has been any injury. It's on the checklist and if someone overinflated significantly it's not a detail you want a lawyer to have!"

So with your vague response it's hard to know what you take exception to but I consider it reasonably well researched given the price paid. The problem I have here is blind advice to try significant over-inflations leaves the reader quite uninformed with the risks involved, both in safety and liability.

-Michael