View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #15 (permalink)
Coroner
Slow steppin'

2013 Coachman 21QBC - '12 Chevy Express 4500 RV
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronMartinSole View Post
It wasn't an exact test by any means, but I seemed to have gotten worse fuel economy driving with the turbo. Of course, I did kind of have a little more fun with the turbo than maybe I should have. Maybe a really smart intelligent driver could utilize the turbo in a way to increase fuel economy, maybe it's just strictly better to drive without the turbo. I've heard that turbo-charged engines have to lower their compression ratio to sort of compensate for the added power of the turbo. I don't know. I do know that the turbo version of the sprint is rated at a lower MPG than the regular version, and of course, the coveted ER version. I think I might try advancing my ignition timing on my next trip, and hope I don't inject the turbo or else in theory I might get engine knock and pinging and exploshions with an h. I'll probably forget to try that. Eh, maybe I'll just advance the timing during this tank. My last tank was 41 and I'm hoping to get at least 43mpg.
Rather than go through all of that mechanical altering, try P&G. If your going to use the turbo, blast off to the desired speed and drop it to neutral and glide like the other poster said they do. It allows the fun of the turbo, and the satisfaction of mpg's by dropping your engine to idle while going for as long as you can at the proper and safe speed.

I don't have a turbo on my current vehicle, but have had them in the past (2006 Freightliner Sprinter, Mercedes 5 cylinder diesel). When I could, I drove as you did (featherfoot) and realized great fuel mileages.
At that time, I was not familiar with the techniques this site has taught me, otherwise, I would have gained even better mileages.

Mark