View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #11 (permalink)
Slow_s10
Super Lurker!

Rusty - '88 Chevrolet S10 base
90 day: 23.72 mpg (US)

Doc - '08 Honda Civic EX-L
90 day: 29.6 mpg (US)
Yeah that was one of the things that I noticed when I was taking it on the test drive. The gearing seemed really low, which I guess is to be expected since it is a "sports car". But I was driving along comfortably in 6th gear going around 40mph and it still had enough power to accelerate pretty quickly without even downshifting.

But that is also why I didn't originally want an Si I really wanted a 5 speed EX sedan but they are just crazy hard to find it seems. Although after driving this one I think even a manual EX would still take some getting used to just because of how quiet these engines are.

But my daily commute is actually mostly surface streets and city driving which is one of the reasons that I really wanted a stick. It is just so much easier to drive them for efficency in stop and go traffic than an auto. There is actually a route that I can take to work that is almost all interstate driving but it is actually about 3 miles longer than the one I take now and the interstate is always way more congested. About the only time I go that way is if I am running late and I know for a fact that traffic won't be too bad, because once I commit to that route there is really no good way to get off the interstate and get to work via surface streets.