View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 07:51 AM   #25 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
The most challenging hurdle I ran into was when in a low speed turn,with trailer cocked,and on the sloping crown of the roadway,and the tow vehicle was ascending a laterally-level up-slope.

A problem for any of us with low ground clearance trailers. My TT (travel trailer; a longer one than in my current sig pic) has a very long rear overhang and not much clearance. So, fuel stops and the rest are best planned in advance (reference materials and Google Map confirmation).

One must also (with Texas law and other states) pulll over at a "safe place" to allow traffic around one. So, one is always scanning the road shoulder on two-lane highways to recognize those places. There is a pretty good burden in being a draft horse out on a race course. It cannot be ignored. (In the same vein: mirrors on the TV must allow visual convergence on an object 200' to ones rear. This is not optional. What is past (behind one) is (actually) "future".

I recommend that the nose of the trailer be just as close to the tow ball as possible to allow the side plates to be as short and as light as possible.

For purposes of tow vehicle stability (steering gradient index, and braking) keeping yaw to a minimum, the tow vehicle hitch receiver and the trailer coupler are ideally as short as possible. Shorter than what most off-the-shelf stuff measures to (givens are that one must be able to clear a 90-degree turn; in backing one WILL hit the trailer with the tow vehicle otherwise). There is nearly always room to shorten by a few inches.

Custom hitch builders still take this into account.

IMO, this is where the money is as combined vehicle dynamics are vital. Reducing driver inputs to maintain lane-centeredness is the first goal. Aero is secondary . . icing on the cake that is a well-chosen pair of vehicles, well-hitched, and on a well-planned trip. Aero won't mean much without those first done.

Last edited by slowmover; 04-09-2013 at 07:59 AM..