Thread: Eco-Unfriendly
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 09:11 PM   #60 (permalink)
Enki
EcoModding Apprentice

NECRO THREAD!

I've given up on doing 200 in the Mazda. There are too many limitations with the powerplant/drivetrain that have given me too many issues as it sits currently; though I have not given up on my desire to reach 200. I'll be posting a thread after a while discussing aero mods to the new project car, which is a 1965 2 door Ford Falcon Wagon.

That said, I do have some economy/performance updates regarding economy in the Mazda:

1. My 60-100 MPH time as the car sits is 5.48 seconds (stock is listed as 8.6 seconds); this is a hair faster than such gems as the Ford Shelby Mustang GT 500, the Porsche 911 Turbo 996, and the Ferarri 360 Modena F1 (all turning in respectable 5.5 second times; reference http://www.torquestats.com/index.php?pid=mph60_100)

2. At freeway speeds (70-80 MPH) I can sustain between 25 and 30 MPG, and have averaged 26.8 MPG on one tank (no foot stomping)

3. There is room for more in the tune, as direct injection cars (like mine) can be tuned WAY lean and still run properly; several other Mazdaspeed 3 owners tune for as high as 17:1 AFR at cruise, whereas I'm only targeting 15:1.

Per my posting on the Mazda forums I'm a member of:

Quote:
Made 284.5 miles on 10.611 gallons of fuel (~E42); about 30% of that in the city. On the highway, made ~93.5 miles to the quarter tank.
It's worth noting I set my cruise control to around 80-83 MPH.
Quote:
Just did some testing (got my new bluetooth odb2 adapter in):

Gear = 6
Fuel = 50/50 (~E42)
60 MPH = ~30-35 MPG
70 MPH = ~26-28 MPG
80 MPH = ~23-25 MPG

These were obtained with no cars in front of or behind me, so are kind of worst case for flat ground. With a car in front, mileage goes up a fair bit.
To put this into perspective, this is what another member experienced after changing some tables in his tune (that I specified):

Quote:
Aight Peeps! As I posted before I was hitting around 190 on 1/4 Tank left and fill up at 10.65 gallons which was about 17.84 Average tank MPGs

Now dialed in on Enki; tables I hit 278.8 and filled up 12.9 Gallons which was 21.61 MPGs fill up!!! Thanks a lot for posting up your tables bro! I know you hit around 26.81 MPGs which is what I would roughly get on just pump gas. I now need to fine tune her for the way I drive!

I have not changed my VVT tables as I am not comfortable changing those numbers because I have not fully learned about it. I may zero the lower loads on VVT below 1.25 load. Any input would be great!

I self tune and have been tuning my low loads for MPGs and keeping my upper range for powah! I have not seen any affect by tuning like this and the car drives smoother than it has ever before!
And here's a video of the tune in action:

Obviously, if I were running this tune on pump gas my economy would be a fair bit higher; however, I'll settle for better than listed factory mileage with 42% ethanol content.