View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 03:57 AM   #157 (permalink)
mechman600
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
I hope I didn't ruin some batteries

Today on the way home from my evening shift, I noticed pack voltage was a bit low going up the kilometer long hill. Normally it goes down to ~68V, but this time it was at ~65V. I quickly reached over and plugged in my battery monitoring gauges and was stunned to see one pair of batteries sitting at ~5V(!!!) while the rest of the pairs were above 11V. So I feather footed it the rest of the way home and started diagnosing.

Turns out that one charger had a blown fuse. Crazy thing is, I have been noticing that the batteries have been a bit saggy for a couple of days, but I just attributed it to the colder weather. A few days....yikes...how thrashed are those two batteries?? I have been charging all batteries except two.

I blame my dead Kill A Watt. When I first plug in, it draws 1070W. And right after my Kill A Watt dies and I am unable to notice that something is off by a change in power draw, something DOES go wrong.

The two uncharged batteries rested at 11.38V after getting home tonight. What do you think....are they ruined?

I am going to fully charge the car tonight and float at 13.8V for many hours after that.