View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #34 (permalink)
mikeyjd
Master EcoModder

Matchbox - '93 Ford Festiva L
Team Ford
Last 3: 70.16 mpg (US)

Salamander - '99 Chrysler Concorde LXI
Team Dodge
90 day: 30.3 mpg (US)

Urquhart - '97 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 3.4L DLX
Pickups
90 day: 25.81 mpg (US)

Smudge - '98 Toyota Tacoma
90 day: 40.65 mpg (US)

Calebro - '15 Renault Trafic 1.25 dci
90 day: 39.39 mpg (US)
not sure if serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
This finding is moving me to declare we have been led on a wild goose chase, as once upon a time the parameters stated something compact like a Ranger was too small to be suitable. Now a subcompact coupe with a modified roof is best. You really haven't defined what it is this thing is supposed to do well. Get a Metro or a Leaf and put a Harbor Fright trailer behind it.

I want to be able to haul 1 ton in the bed and a 1-2 ton in a trailer simultaneously. I know that I assumed a ranger wasn't beefy enough at the outset of this thread, but i'm learning that smaller doesn't have to mean "not enough". Sorry for wasting your time Frank

I'd still like to hear some input about whether or not a vw rabbit has any issues that would prevent it from being up to the task, and if the idea of doubled up leaf springs and locking differential would be a good idea (just wondering as to whether the frame is hardy enough to keep up with the suspension here and if theres any reason a locking differential wont work or would be counter productive). thanks to all who have posted thus far, it has really helped shorten my research/learning curve allot (even though i'm just scratching the surface in that regard). Thanks again. Off to read some more articles