View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #30 (permalink)
hat_man
Master EcoModder

Oh Deer - '03 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 33.97 mpg (US)
I get a bit frustrated anymore when some jerk tailgates. I drive the speed limit (55mph) on two lanes and the same 55mph on the interstate. I still feel that it's not my fault they didn't leave enough time to get to work and have to break the law. I haven't heard of anyone getting cited for driving the speed limit but in this mixed up crazy world of "entitlement" I'm sure it happens. They post a minimum speed limit on most roads. I think it's usually 45mph even on the interstate. If you are going more than the minimum even if you are going under the "limit" (like 55mph on a 65mph road) I can't see it holding up in court. Just sign the NOT guilty line on the ticket and then make the officer explain exactly just how you were breaking the law in court. As long as you were in the right hand lane on a 3 or more lane highway or at least going the speed limit on a 2 lane they don't have much of an argument.

I can usually wait them out because I also just don't care too much anymore. It's when they get too close that I just start to practice my PnG techniques. Practice makes perfect you know. The ones who choose to ride my bumper with their brights on don't like it for very long because I have found the right angle with my rear view to throw most of the light back at them. "But officer...it must have been dumb luck that when he wouldn't turn his brights off and I reached up and slapped my mirror that it directed it mostly back at him blinding him while he was trying to blind me."

I have been known to ever so slightly press on the brakes. Just enough to make the taillights come on. I wouldn't slam on the brakes because I don't want to wreck MY truck. This and the mirror thing are really only reserved for the extreme jerks out there. Usually I wait them out and as the go roaring past me, telling me I'm #1 with a little finger gesturing, I just give them a big thumbs up and smile. Does this make me a "bad" driver? I really don't care anymore. I was a "good" driver for 25 years and "went with the flow". But now at $3-$4 a gallon for gas and a 120 mile round trip commute to work, they can just kiss......................